Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 13000943
Historic Name ST PHILIP'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Description of Significance ST. PHILIP'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (ALSO KNOWN AS LANE CHAPEL CME CHURCH/JESUS CHRIST APOSTOLIC CHURCH), AT 502 N. 9TH STREET IN MUSKOGEE, OKLAHOMA, IS BEING NOMINATED FOR THE NATIONALREGISTER FOR ITS LOCAL SIGNIFICANCE, 1931-1963, UNDER CRITERION A (ETHNIC HERITAGE) FOR ITS SOCIAL FUNCTION FOR THE HISTORY OF AFRICAN AMERICANS IN MUSKOGEE, AS ONE OF A FEW HISTORIC CHURCHBUILDINGS REMAINING THAT REPRESENT COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES OF BLACK PROTESTANT CHURCHES. THE PERIOD OF SIGNIFICANCE ENDS AT THE FIFTY-YEAR-PAST MARK, COINCIDENTAL WITH THE DECLINE OF CHURCH MEMBERSHIP. IT IS ALSO BEING NOMINATED UNDER CRITERION C (ARCHITECTURE). BECAUSE IT IS THE CITY'S ONLY EXAMPLE OF FULL-SCALE APPLICATION OF TUDOR REVIVAL ARCHITECTURAL FORM AND DETAILING, IT ISELIGIBLE FOR THE NATIONAL REGISTER, WITH THE CRITERIA CONSIDERATION FOR RELIGIOUS BUILDINGS.
Current Name LANE CHAPEL CME CHURCH
Address 502 NORTH 9TH STREET
City MUSKOGEE
County MUSKOGEE
Lot 8
Block 235
Current Section
Township
Range
Type BUILDING
Historic Function RELIGION
Current Function RELIGION
Area Signficance 1 ETHNIC HERITAGE: BLACK
Area Significance 2 ARCHITECTURE
Date Prepared 2013
Year Built 1931
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder UNKNOWN
Architectural Style TUDOR REVIVAL
Roof Material ASPHALT SHINGLE
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details
Condition EXCELLENT
Comments
Restricted N